Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Age...revealed.

So 10 days ago I hit a milestone with my age, nobody made a huge deal about which is nice, but for some reason, hitting that number (30 for those who don't know) has made me reflect alot.

I hate reflecting...I usually stay really busy during the week and even weekends. With three kids, a full time and part time job, it's not really all that hard...but for some reason I have had some extra time on my hands just the past week. So what do I do? I could spend the time working on my business...nah...that's just more work...I could spend time with the family...wait they aren't here (hence the time to reflect)...I know...catch up on sports...let's do that?!?! eh...my teams aren't doing so well...I could play video games...I never get to...and it just so happens...okay that was boring...Well...I guess I can sit and think.

It's amazing what you can think about when your mind is free to think about what it wants to think about. I thought about friends that I've been too busy too make time for...I thought about family that I have been too busy to make time for...I've thought about what has happened in the past year, 5 years and 10 years...hmmm...I can't say this is a mid-life crisis (it better not be...I don't want to die so soon) and I wouldn't say that I am dissapointed with the decisions I have made in life. I got married fairly young (22), but I have a wonderful wife to show for that...We started kids pretty early (3 years) but I have three beautiful children who are growing up to be smarter than their dad (not hard...but it makes me happy), I have had fairly stable job positions, even including being laid off a year ago.

Sure there are decisions that I would like to go back and change. I think they are pretty basic, but they would make a huge difference...I wish I could go back and be more disciplined with my money. I think about all the money I have spent on stupid things and it kind of makes me sick. I look at lost opportunities and I think that this might be the biggest area of concern. We had the chance to purchase a manufactured home for $5000 with about 2000 sq feet (3 bedrooms and an office, dining, living) but we were talked out of it. Boy that would have made a difference (it's bigger than the little 1600 sq feet we have now). We could still live there quite comfortably with 3 kids.

I don't know I think sometimes we can get way too caught up in reflection. Who cares about the opportunities missed, about accomplishments we made yesterday...isn't life all about reaching new heights each and every day? Well...here's to each day then...hopefully I get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment