Thursday, March 12, 2009

Okay...off the venting

Okay, so I am off the venting thing. I guess thing had been worse than I was used to for the past few months, but things have definatley gotten better.

I'll get to the better things later, this past week I had to do one of the harder things I have had to do in a while. For most of those reading this (I don't think there are many) but for most of the people who actually read this, what I went through was not a big deal. I didn't think it would be a big deal either, but for some reason it's having an affect on me.

On Saturday, I said goodbye to my little sister. There have been milestones in the past and it's not like we spend a whole lot of time together, but she moved out of state and it's been tough adjusting. Like many, we had to adjust when I went on a mission, and just over year after being home, I got married, so like I said we hadn't spent too much time together. She got married a little over a year ago and has been living and going to school in Provo for a few years as well.

I had the same problem when she got married. She was growing up and facing the world without the protection and security that her big brother provided. It was hard for me, I cried like a baby in after the fact, and although I WAS proud of her like I said. It was about saying goodbye then as well. Don't get me wrong, she married a great guy who is going to treat her like a queen. So it has nothing to do with the guy, but that doesn't change the fact.

Okay so then I was very proud of her when she had her first child, her and Jenn were pregnant at the same time, and Macy was born in October and McKinley was born in January. I am happy that my most recent child will have cousins that are close in age, eventhough they won't be close in any other way.

So I put this question out there. Am I just being a baby, is this some form of immaturity that I have a hard time dealing with a sister that lives out of state? (she is in TX by the way) Do I just need to grow up and accept the fact that not everybody can continue to live in the same city or state in which they were born?

I know that there is a part of me that is even more worried about the overseas posts that will have to take place...(sorry I didn't mention that my brother-in-law is an officer in the Air Force that's why they are moving away). I am worried because then in addition to the the fact that she is far away, she is days away and news can sometimes travel slow (especially when I don't check my e-mail every day).



Okay so here's the good stuff. I am doing new things and helping a lot of people. It's amazing to see the change in people when they come to a realization (some of which with my assistance) that they don't have to worry about the future. I have helped quite a few families who will go from nothing saved for retirement, future expenses etc. to having money saved up and in the pocket within 5 years. With those savings growing and putting them in a position to enjoy retirement and not just be retired. I have found that the exhilirating feeling sometimes makes me wish that I could tell them again and again...It's changed my entire feeling on life. I am a victim of my father's upbringing who is often heard saying things like...'I will be working until I'm 80', I always that my job was a part of my life. Now I am doing things that have life being a part of the job. It's a liberating feeling and hopefully you will see a difference in the blog as a result.

thanks all...

1 comment:

  1. Dan, I think you're totally normal! It's hard to lose someone you care about even if you hardly ever saw them before. Hopefully she will be able to keep in contact by e-mail.
    I'm glad you're able to help families out there figure out their finances. The best thing is, I think more people will be open to suggestions and help at this point. A couple years ago, it might not have been as easy. I know I've been able to get a lot of people to read the book we're doing. They're just much more open.
    I might have someone to send to you in a couple months when they're debt is paid off. They will be ready to really start doing retirement saving!

    ReplyDelete