Monday, April 6, 2009

Good long weekend.

Wow, I had a great weekend. Okay so nothing too special happened, we just sat around and did nothing, but boy it's amazing how much more relaxing the weekend is when I am not getting the kids up and fed and dressed for church...now...I wouldn't change that for the world and I know the blessing far outweigh the struggles, but I never really realized how much energy it takes out of me when I have to get them ready, plus with Jenn's calling she sits up on the stand (ward chorister) and so I get to wrestle with the boy by myself. Madison does a great job at church and the organ music from the opening and sacrament hymn put the baby right to sleep...it's Carter who is the problem.

He is a menace...his favorite thing now is to use the back of the pew in front to catapult himself over the back and into the people in front of us. Of course when he acts up I can't very well stand up and leave with him (leaving the 5 year old and 2 month old to fend for themselves, so I sit there and hold him...I swear if someone in the ward doesn't call social services on me, I'll be shocked.

Overall though, it's nice to send him to nursery.

Fine...I decided...I am going to share my son with those readers who actuall follow this blog (Marly is the only one who ever makes comments so I am going to assume you are the only one who reads this). This is my son...

Carter - With Jenn's calling as ward choir director (yes and chorister) we get to do choir practice every week. Last week when we did choir practice we decided not to send Carter away...he spent his time in the chapel with us...we asked him to 'be good' and he responded by turning on the satellite link (for some reason it was turned on to a rock station) so in the middle of the choir practice, Guns and Roses startes blaring throughout the chapel. Well of course everybody reacted and Jenn turned around and turned the dang thing off...what does Carter do? He turns it back on of course. During the same session of choir practice, he decides he is going to ride the wall at the end of the stage (you know the one that seperates the stage from the congregation, and the pulpit is in the middle) like a horse...well it's like a 6 foot drop on the congregation side of it, and of course...he starts to fall...Against my better judgement (it said let him fall then he'll learn) I run down and grab him...of course he thinks this is absolutley hilarious.

This same son likes to 'push' McKinley in her swing...well he like to go high when he swings, so of course...I don't think our swing will ever be the same. This same son has given my 15 year old brother stitches...my mom a broken toe, knocked himself out 3 times (twice he head dived onto the pavement and once he ran head long into a 4X4 post), mom and dad (Jenn and me) have daily headaches to the point that we are personally ensuring that Tylenol, Advil and Excedrin will never require bailout money.

He has a car (toy little porsche that you can ride) at Grandma's house. The seat lifts up...well he keeps all kinds of lovely treasures in there. We have found week old bananas, cookies and all manner of food in that lovely seat.

If you couldn't tell by the picture that graces our Blog, we love Disneyland and we are saving for a trip there soon. We bought a big 3 gallon jug (for water) and told the kids that when it's full we will go to Disneyland. They get money for doing chores and for sleeping in their beds (we have a problem with children joining our bed in the middle of the night), and when Mom and Dad have extra change in their pockets they get to take that as well.

This is a great concept that we are trying to teach our children. Save for important things and forget about the little things. We allow them to keep their birthday money and stuff in anticipation of spending it on what they want (But they can save it for disneyland money), this way they have some sense of self saving as well. Well my lovely son...has taken the saving and scavenging for money to the extreme. He has resorted 'stealing'...now I don't put this on the same level as a 10 or 12 year old taking money and buying things they want...but he has raided my wallet of 50 dollars...my daughters purse of 15 dollars (from birthday money)...anytime he rides in anyones car...yep he empties their change thing...We have had to warn aunts, uncles and Grandparents that they need to clean up the cash if they don't want Carter to have it. He puts all of it in the jug, but we can't seem to explain it well enough that he can only do money we give him...I guess it's not too bad...we just need to watch him a bit closer when we go to the bank.

All in all, I am told that he is just a boy and that we better get used to it. But generally speaking he obeys less...he listens rarely and his favorite thing to do is to suplex Madison to the ground...it's at the point where we have had to teach basic self defense to our 5 year old daughter...

Walking past our house you frequently hear things like...PUT YOUR ELBOW IN HIS CHEST AND THEN PUSH OFF AND HE SHOULD LET YOU GO.

2 comments:

  1. I can stop commenting if you want me to :) Have you sent out an e-mail telling everyone you have one? I know I like getting comments, so I guess that's why I comment on yours.

    I was going to say he is a boy, but I'm sure there are some things you can do, I just can't think of them. My second runs around like a maniac all the time! He also climbs up on everything, including everything he shouldn't. People freak out, but I just let him do it. Although, not sure I'd let him do it on the pulpit. I think you probably should get someone to watch him. Give him less situations to get in more trouble, if that makes any sense.

    Honestly I can't think what to say about the stealing. I was a little thief when I was little. Nothing my mom said or did made me stop. I think it was when I was old enough to really make my own money that I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No please continue to comment. I think part of the problem is that both our families are so close that there really isn't a need for them to read the blog. We talk almost everyday. But I do have some family members out there that live further away. Maybe this will call them out so they can start commenting.

    ReplyDelete