Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reunion and School

So last week, well actually 2 weeks ago I had my ten year high school reunion. So I am not ready to be out of high school for ten years...time flies so quickly...it doesn't feel like ten years but I can't believe I have a kindergartner. So they have their own blog and I could not believe it when they posted the price of $60 per person! When considering two years ago we went to Daniels' reunion and it was $60 total! So I posted a comment on their blog about my concerns with the price, obviously many people were upset with the price so they lowered to $45 per person...not great but better. With Daniels reunion we went to Maddox steak house in Brigham City and while we ate they had a slide show going of then and now pictures, which was great. They also did prizes...like they had people stand who had the most kids, the most kids in one birth, how much education they've received, how far away they came from, etc. and the winners got a $5 or $10 gift card to somewhere. Then they talked about missing graduates who had passed on, and at the end of the night we got a CD of the slide show.

Now two years later it's my reunion. Well since they cut back the price they had to cut back the d.j. and it was held at the Davis Conference Center. Not only were we having the evening dinner and celebrations, but we also had a picnic at a park that our kids could come to. They sold out of the tickets for dinner but you could purchase tickets for the park only which were $15 for a family of 4 but nothing was provided, you brought your own lunch to the picnic...so what are you paying for????
So on to the evening festivities. You signed in at 6pm and went into the room where we ended up waiting till 6:45 until we got our salad and started dinner (by that time my water was already gone). Our table ran out of ranch and one girl hadn't had any dressing on her salad, so she asked one of the waiters for some he told her that they were out...interesting. Also an interesting note we had about 2 tables that were empty so how did they run out of evening tickets? Then after our salad plates were cleared we waited about 10-15 minutes for our dinner, which was either chicken or pork. They bring out my chicken with a bone sticking straight out of it...(did not look appetizing at all I'm not into the fancy) my chicken also had a glaze on it which looked like they spread bright neon orange paint on top of my chicken. With this interesting looking chicken I had about a 1/4 cup of rice and 1/4 cup of mixed vegetables. (Now by this time both my water and juice were gone and I am parched!) Needless to say I was still starving.

While we ate we had to fill out a questionnaire about where we lived, what we were doing, etc. We then had a senior officer talk about how Northridge is a feeder school for Hill Air Force Base and they wanted anyone in the military to stand so we could honor them since they were the "majority" of our school. Well only 3 people were in the military. So after that 1/2 hour lecture we then had the senior class officers read EVERY PERSONS questionnaire. I was completely BORED out of my mind...and between each transition on what they were doing there was a pause like they had no idea what they were doing. So then I'm still hungry and very thirsty...(the waiters never came around to fill drinks) then we had cheesecake for dessert a very tiny sliver of cheesecake (pathetic). Anyway then we went out and had a huge group picture in poor lighting of all the classmates that came all maybe 80 of us out of a graduating class of 500 people. Oh and there was a "photographer" there...not even she was one of the class officers little sisters who graduated maybe a year ago. Then the night was over at 9pm when it was supposed to last until 11pm. And all we got out of it was a little baggy that had two Hershey kisses in it and two northridge chap sticks. Woo-hoo. What a pathetic evening...I could have gone to a really nice restaurant and a movie or even a hotel for $90. My best friend didn't even come, a lot of my friends didn't come probably because of the price, overall it was a very sad evening.

So this week Madison started school (again) but Tuesday was her actual first day of kindergarten. Madison had a hard time yesterday, she's been upset that she hasn't been the line leader yet, and that all she does in school is work. So when we got home she cried, and I tried to comfort her. So I was worried about going today..if she would be upset or not. Well I park the car and we cross the street and are in front of the building (the kindergarten classes are in the back of the building and you walk around the outside of the building to get to her class) So we start to walk around the building and she turns to me and says "I know the way bye mom" what? wait? you don't want me to walk with you??? and she replies "No I can go by myself, I know the way." I stammer an o-o-o-k and she cheerfully says bye mom and skips around the building when she gets to the east side of the building she turns around and sees me just standing there and she waves, blows me a kiss and then skips off. So there I am standing by myself, alone, in front of the school...my baby has just skipped off independently and cheerfully without me to go to school. Needless to say my eyes began to water and a couple of drops fell but at least it wasn't an all out cry or sob. I never thought this day would come until Jr. High because since I work at the elementary school I would be there and could always walk her to class. Well she wanted to and did go to class by herself. I'm pathetic. So we will see if this will be an every day thing only tomorrow will tell....so now it's off to bed to bring on a new day.

Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. They didn't run out of evening tickets. They were told they could only sell them until a week beforehand :) I think those empty seats were actually sold. I know of a few people who got sick or couldn't end up coming.

    It was ridiculous. The mood was so off and the food wasn't very good. I've had better food for $20 a plate :p

    ReplyDelete